Association of periOperative Registered Nurses

Share:

Topic Tags

Isolation gowns

Isolation gowns

Posted by Kristie Kleven, RN, BSN on Oct 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Wondering what the best practice is for wearing isolation gowns in the OR for contact and enteric precautions.  Are circulators and anesthesia allowed to take off their isolation gowns once they are done touch the patient or do they were the gown through the entire case?  AORN says put it one when you enter the room and take it off when you leave.

thank you in advance for any feedback
Kristie

Re: Isolation gowns

Posted by Nancy P. Flanagan, RN,CNOR on Oct 15, 2013 12:16 pm

The circulator cannot really wear the isolation gown the whole case unless she/he is not going to open cabinets or get supplies for the sterile field.
WE put on gown and gloves to handle the patient or contaminated items then we remove them and wash our hands.  The OR is different that a patient room on the floor. Our rooms are not contaminated because we practice confine and contain with items that come off the field. If the circulator stayed gowned and gloved then the computer/ desk etc would be contaminated..  On the floor... patients and family members may move around the room therefore all surfaces are considered contaminated... in the OR surfaces and supplies are not touched with dirty hands or gloved hands...

Posted by Kristie Kleven, RN, BSN on Oct 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Thank you. At my previous job we worn the gown during the whole case and just took off our gloves when charting or touch supplies.  This was the direction we had gotten from Infection Control and it what we are also getting here at my current position so it is great to hear practices at other organizations.

Posted by Nancy P. Flanagan, RN,CNOR on Oct 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Kristie, We have approval of our Infection Control Director.... for what we do... I wonder if your IC director understands how the circulator works in the Operating Room... seems like you would contaminate other surfaces with a gown on...
We brought our IC person into the OR and showed them what we do..... good luck
Sort: